Potpourri of players in the payments space, what will happen?
This week Brian and Faisal discuss the landscape of payments, reflecting back on 1.5 years of Around The Coin podcast and discuss what’s going to happen in the payments space for months to come. Who will die out, who will shine and who will be the big surprise.
Amongst the topics discussed are David Marcus jumping ship from Paypal to Facebook, Paypal and its separation from eBay and its acquisition of Xoom. How PayPal is ripe to acquire new companies. We also discuss Facebook and their Messenger payments, the possibility of Facebook going into retail and online payments (in addition to P2P).
Briefly discuss Banks, especially challenger banks in the UK.
FIS acquiring SunGuard for US$ 9.1 Billion, APIs and Startups, MCX and CurrencyC, ISO Standards for real-time payments (ISO 20022) working draft that came out. Realtime payment in America and ClearExchange.
Square’s IPO, their data-science in play on same day payments for merchants at 1.0% rate rather than free the next day at 9AM Eastern.
Towards the end, we talk about Samsung Pay, and Brian’s take on behavior and what problems it might pose. Curtains up for Samsung on 28th of September 2015, when it formally launches in the US.
Our speakers in this week’s episode:
- Finextra: Finextra news: FIS agrees $9.1 billion SunGard deal
- Finextra: Finextra news: Blockchain poised to become banking’s biggest disruptor yet – BBVA Compass economists
- Finextra: Finextra news: Samsung Pay lines up card schemes and banks for launch
- Finextra: Finextra news: First draft standard on ISO 20022 for real-time payments published
- Finextra: Finextra news: BlackBerry partners PayPal for BBM P2P payments
- Atom Bank taps video game technology to win mobile customers | Reuters
- List of UK Challenger Banks
Also available on iTunes.
Otter Labs -> Otter helps startups hire talented inexpensive developers faster through staff augmentation, focusing on Argentina.
Redeeem -> Redeeem is a decentralized peer-to-peer exchange that lets you save 15% or more on gift cards using Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies.